Saturday, September 22, 2007

Moving to a new apartment
After 6 months of house sitting it was time for me to find my own place to live in Phnom Penh. I looked at quite a few different places and wasn't really taken by any of them! I think because i wasn't sure what would be happening with my job i wasn't as enthusiastic as i might otherwise have been.

I decided that having been offered first refusal on a friends place that that would probably be the easiest option. It was in a safe neighbourhood, it was light and airy and it had a nice feel to it. It was however very typically Khmer in that there were tiles from floor to ceiling and also very high solid walls dividing the whole place up. Having put a small deposit on this place i stopped looking around and accepted that as my new home.

A week or so after putting a deposit down i was visiting a friend, he lives on the 5th floor of an ugly building in the centre of town. The apartment however is so roomy and light and the views were amazing. We spoke a little about his place and i mentioned about my new place. To cut a long story short the apartment next to his was empty and he was sure that they would rent it to me.

After looking at the place i spoke to the owner and signed the contract the next day. I love it. I feel truly at home and every day i enjoy coming back to the views and the air. I bought a fair bit of furniture, it's a good time to invest and it makes a world of difference in the apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home